From High Status Hall to Agricultural Barn
A Brief History of Grade II* Dronfield Hall Barn
The handsome stone agricultural building set back from High Street dates to the early 18th century. Successful lead and millstone merchant John Rotherham extended the structure and clad its internal Medieval timber frame in sandstone, concealing a spectacular secret within.
Wooden beams and king post timbers inside dating from 1430 suggest the presence of a high status Medieval Hall on the site, possibly Dronfield’s first manor house and oldest domestic building. Evidence within the structure suggests the Hall may have had a Medieval dais canopy, positioned above the Lord of the Manor’s seat at the high table when entertaining guests of distinction.
The barn formed part of the Hall Farm complex of buildings owned by the Rotherham-Cecil estate, with cottages and workshops standing in front. Dividing walls and stalls were added internally to house livestock and agricultural material. A breeze block wall and concrete floor were constructed later by Jowett’s, who used the building for storage of building supplies.